The Witless Clunkery of a Third-Rate Mind

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Job Mania

Well, two job interviews in two weeks isn't exactly "job mania" is it? But still... not bad. I had an interview for a Junior High School ALT job in Nagoya (large city, central Japan) and another one for a job teaching volunteers who are involved in the Japanese version of the Peace Corps. The second one seemed better for a number of reasons, but the leading reason was that it would allow me to work between Westgate semesters, whereas the ALT job would be a one-year contract. I think I want to come back to Westgate in the spring, so I was leaning towards the "Peace Corps" job.

Both interviews went really well and both companies seemed like they wanted to offer me the job. The first company called me, offered the position, and asked for my answer, but I still hadn't heard from the second company. Since that was the job I was really hoping to get, I declined the first offer. But now, I still haven't heard from the second company. I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot by declining the first job... but sometimes you have to gamble... let's just hope I haven't "gambled and lost" (which is also a euphemism for crapping your pants when you think it's just going to be gas)...

If I DO get offered the Peace Corps job, (actually, let's call it by its proper name: JICA) ... if I DO get offered the JICA job, I need a place to live for 2 weeks between contracts. That is causing me some amount of stress. I could always buy a tarpaulin and become homeless for a while. The bums in Ueno park always look like they are having fun. But I will also need to change the date of my return ticket to Canada. I'm wondering how long I have until I am no longer able to change the date...

Anyway, I am eaglerly awaiting the news about this job. If I don't get it, I can either scramble and get a job with one of the big McEnglish schools (unlikely) or just be lazy and come back to Canada (fairly likely). So I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen, but if all goes well (?) I won't be back to Canada for a while. If I get turned down, the upside is that I will be able to come back and see everybody sooner than expected...


At 9:34 PM, Blogger Zambo said...

Hey Buddy.

Though I'd like to see you soon, I wish you good luck with that job.

Take care.

Your Pal,



Post a Comment

<< Home