The Witless Clunkery of a Third-Rate Mind

Monday, July 25, 2005

Premonitions

Everybody has premonitions, I think. But most of us don't put too much stock in them, and we certainly don't usually go around telling people about them. And most of the time, that's a good thing, because 99.9% of our premonitions don't come true. But once in a while, we have a premonition that DOES come true, and we tell everyone we know about it, and it seems really eerie... but mostly just because we only mention the premonitions that happen to turn out to be correct.

Well, for the last few weeks I have been having strong, persistent premonitions that an earthquake would hit the Tokyo area right as I was leaving Japan. I didn't think that I would be hurt, but I imagined that it would cause a certain amount of chaos and that my flight would be cancelled. Surprise, surprise, then when a fairly strong earthquake (6.2?) hit right where I was living... the day AFTER I left Japan. (Cue "Twilight Zone" music.) Flights and trains were cancelled and delayed for hours after the quake. Apparently, 27 people were injured by falling objects, etc.

Okay, okay, it's not so weird to imagine that an earthquake would hit somewhere in Japan. But I have never had a premonition about an earthquake before. Usually, I just don't think about them at all. And strange that it was so strong, that it hit so close to where I lived, and so close to the time I was leaving. I must find out more about the actual epicenter of the quake...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home