The Witless Clunkery of a Third-Rate Mind

Monday, September 16, 2013

Typhoon 18

A photo I stole from japantimes.com
 
I just got back from my summer vacation in Canada where, as usual, a number of people chastised me for never updating my Blog anymore.  I guess the problem is that I was trying to write epic Blog posts once in a while, instead of smaller, more frequent posts.  And those epic posts tended to be pretty daunting!
So, I'm going to try and write a bit more often, maybe about once a week or so(?)  We'll see how that goes.
I've had a pretty lazy week since coming back.  I had a nice birthday dinner at a fancy steak and seafood place in Ikebukuro,  and I've also been catching up on my sleep.  I always used to say that jetlag was worse going East (i.e., Japan to Canada) and not so bad the other way, but this time at least, I've had a hard time getting back to a normal sleep schedule.  I'd get extremely tired around 2 p.m., take a nap for an hour or so, wake up feeling like death, then drag my butt around in a daze until 8 p.m. or so, at which point I would get so tired I would have to sleep.  I've gradually been able to wean myself off of the afternoon naps, fortunately.  I go back to work tomorrow, so I hope I'm back to normal otherwise I'm going to find myself dozing off mid-lesson.
In the news, we had a big typhoon last night and today. It was kind of strange, I thought, because we had a big storm two nights ago with high winds, torrential rain, and apocalyptic thunder and lightning.  I thought it was the typhoon come early, but apparently it was just the prelude!  The actual typhoon started late last night with high winds and rain.  I waited and waited for the typhoon to approach the strength of the previous storm ... and it kind of never did.  The winds got quite strong, and sometimes gusts of wind shook the glass doors on the balcony ... but it wasn't all that bad.  I guess the storm hit Kyoto and Aichi much harder, resulting in a lot of flooding, some mudslides, and a couple deaths (so far).  But Tokyo, despite being directly in the path of the hurricane, seems to have gotten off lightly.
I was going to go into school today to plan for my lessons, but the typhoon meant I couldn't go in.  So ... I guess tomorrow I will be flying by the seat of my pants! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home