The Witless Clunkery of a Third-Rate Mind

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Talking About the Weather

You know you're boring when you find yourself talking about the weather a lot. But in Japan, it seems to be the thing to do. And besides, the weather here is completely insane, so talking about the weather might be a little more interesting than it sounds.

The last week or so has been extremely chilly. For my Canadian readers, it may be hard to imagine that it's actually colder here than it is there. But the thing to remember is that the walls of my apartment are like cardboard, and my heater is ineffectual at best, so when I wake up in the morning it's really, really uncomfortable. Sure, Canada is colder if you are just considering the actual temperature. But in terms of the amount of time you spend sitting around thinking, "Damn, I'm really, really cold!" Japan wins, hands down.

But the really weird thing is that, after a week of really cold weather, we are here on December 5th, and it's boiling hot again! I was walking around in jeans and a t-shirt, sweating and wishing I had worn shorts! Very, very bizarre. It just goes to show: I'm never happy. No! It just goes to show, uh, that weather is very unpredictable. Or something.

Side story: my friend and co-worker, Mark from Alabama, is planning on going to law school, and to that end has been studying for the LSAT for the past few months. The test was scheduled to run today, but because of a freak storm we had last night, the trains lost power this morning and he missed his test. There was absolutely no way that he could get to Tokyo. He even tried convincing a number of taxi drivers to take him, but they don't go outside city limits. Unbelievable! Damn you, weather! Damn you!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home